Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Jeweled Cowl KAL

This past week at the FVKG meeting I taught the gang about beaded knitting with a crochet hook.... I think it went well.

Several of my pals and I also agreed to a Knit-a-long. We are making our own Jeweled Cowl each. It's a easy project that I hoped to engage the other guild members with. The beading is in the same area along the shawl and the lacy part is not super detailed. I love beads and knitting so I am really just trying to spread the addiction! LOL

So here is a beginning shot of my cowl. 

I am using one of my favorite colour- ways of Knit Picks Shadow lace weight yarn "Oregon Coast", it's a complicated colour. The base looks like a brown grey but, it's got so many facets to it. So to pick up on one of those colours, I'm using a purple centered iridescent bead. This is potato chip knitting at it's finest. 
The pattern is so easy to get around and the yarn is so lightweight, I can pack it in my day bag easy. You can see the beads in a small purple container, it's hinged with a lid and locks closed. Awesome for keeping a small amount of beads with me. 

If you haven't tried beads and crochet hooks, I recommend it. This is a great project already...... and I know that I am so going to be making more. The combinations are rushing past me every time I see my bead collection, or my lace yarns. Especially for those single skeins that I just had to have but had no plans for. This could be a great thing to do!

Anyway, hope you had a good weekend. Welcome fall!

2 comments:

Mereknits said...

It is really beautiful, I have never tried to knit or crochet with beads, but now after looking at this, I just might.
Hugs,
Meredith

Toni said...

Oh, that is going to be SO beautiful!!!! What size of beads are you using?