Thursday, September 24, 2009

So what's up?

What happens in your life that tears you away from your blogging life? LOL
Real life!

So I have had a busy summer, visiting, working, canning and some knitting. A bit of drawing too.
It's been great and I think that this season of the harvest will be just as busy. When the hubby is working on a Saturday, I have been canning with friends, or my Mom. Jars of pie filling, jams, pickles and jalapeno jelly line the pantry, and boy does that feel great. There is more to do though, my parents have some great grape vines in their yard, and two apple trees that always give fruit. This year they are all full! So more pie filing and preserves are coming up!

Someone at work asked me if my sister was as "domestic" as I am. I was stuck a bit, but being as I didn't really want to get into it.... I said "not really"

My sister I think is more domestic, she has a child and a group of ladies she sees on a regular basis. She is a great mom already, and I love her to bits.
I guess I always saw my hobbies as self-sufficency, not the dread domesticity. Why I dread it I cannot say at the moment... suffice to theorize that it has something to do with the second wave of feminism that I was exposed to before I could really understand it.You know the idea. They didn't like knitting either. So I guess as a third-wave feminist, I am embracing the things that give me pleasure and make me feel connected to the earth and self-sufficent. I knit, I can fruit, I jam,, I raise a veggie and herb garden, I bake (occasionally but, not from scratch yet.)
I also practice archery, target shooting and am going to hunt this year with my husband. I have a bachelors' degree in art and love the ideas that go along with that.

So is that domestic? If so I am a domestic goddess.... I embrace it all.

Next on my list.... learning to roast a chicken well..... and maybe talk the hubby into getting me a bee hive this spring ;) I also think that running is something I should take up... or rowing.

Hope all is well with you and you are doing things away from work that make you happy.
To friends I haven't seen in a while, I will try to drop you a line for dinner or breakfast soon. Hope your autumn is shaping up nicely gang. I realllllly do want to show off some FO's and almost FO's. That is the next blog goal. Comments and thoughts are awelcome and encouraged. Talk to you soon.

3 comments:

Aesderina said...

I don't know if you are domestic goddess..
but you're a goddess of some sort!
I giggled when I read third wave.. lol

Toni said...

Maybe TRUE feminism is having the courage to choose one's own path?

I'm answering a lot of the same questions for people as I now knit, sew, can, cook, and garden (sort of). I'm even a housewife this year!

I think we had to go a long way to give women even the freedom to choose our own paths, so maybe this is true feminism?

(And why is it so much easier to have philosophical discussions when I'm getting my arse kicked by a sweater?)

Anna said...

A beehive? That sounds really awesome!